- Prepare now for your spring labour demands;
- Prioritise replacement heifer management;
- Dry-cow treatment must be done carefully – spread over several days;
- Aim for a closing cover of 600-700kgDM/ha;
- Feed to cow body condition score;
- Do your 2018 financial plan in November;
- Invest in variable/current costs to save on your 2017 tax bill.
- Manage the last rotation carefully;
- Use the last rotation planner and measure out the area carefully;
- Avoid poaching by good management;
- October is the most important month to condition score cows;
- Weigh replacements and feed below-target ones;
- Pay the key bills;
- Meal feeding makes other human beings rich!
- Use grazed grass to improve a bad profit year;
- Round bale surpluses from paddocks to save on grass wastage by topping;
- You should have more than 64 per cent of your year’s nitrogen used by mid-May;
- Be serious about preventative healthcare when cash is tight;
- Put all your energy into maximising high submission rates;
- Add humour to your family workplace.
- Only buy what you cannot do without;
- Grazed grass drives down costs;
- Do the last rotation plan now;
- Preventative animal health is more important than ever;
- Act when replacement heifers are below target;
- Castrate males now;
- Why non-dairy farmers should join up with dairy farmers;
- Things to consider if thinking about expansion or a new venture.
- The next 12 months will be tough, but plan now;
- Cut costs from now;
- Sell more efficiently produced milk and animals;
- Nitrogen grows money;
- Build up grass now to make €2.80/cow/day later on;
- No meal feeding – unless...;
- Some pointers from Moorepark Open Day.