- Learn from 2009 and be prepared for the 14c/l drop, even if it doesn’t come
- How to overcome the loss of Ä700 per cow in milk sales
- Improving farm output will release cash
- Talk to your family and workers about how tight things will be in 2015
- Spread two to four bags of 10:10:20 now
- Use the spring rotation planner to save superlevy bill
- Plan now for a 90 per cent six-week calving in 2016.
- January is a month to carefully plan your ‘survival’ strategies
- Review 2014 and plan your cost-saving strategies
- Define your SMaC farm-management practices to survive the future
- Beware the slick – and not-so-slick – salesmen
- Prepare for:
- Calf rearing
- Long working hours
- Avail of all the ‘tricks’ to minimise superlevy penalty
- How to use these Management Hints in 2015.
- Because replacement heifers are your future,
- manage them to reach target weights
- Dry cow treatment is a big and responsible job – spread over several days
- Take all stock off farm when grass cover falls
- to 550-600kgDM/ha
- Now is the time to manage cow body condition
- score (BCS)
- Dose now to prevent parasite losses
- Invest in variable/current costs to save
- on your 2014 tax bill.
- Is producing over quota a gamble?
- Manage replacements to achieve target weights
- Start rectifying cow body condition this month
- Feed meals strategically
- Make a list of things to buy, jobs to do and where help is required
- Use the last rotation planner to manage grass during October
- Start drying off cows, but do so carefully
- Extra winter feed gives you options
- Tips to build personal resilience.
- Actions to take to avoid the last super-levy bill EVER!
- Once-a-day milking – milk to weanlings and no meals in the plan
- Leasing cows, both long and short term, is a serious option
- Soil and silage testing is now an essential practice
- Animal health duties in September – a priority!
- Weigh replacement heifers – under-target animals must be fed 1-2kg meal
- Hit grass cover targets with nitrogen and good planning
- This is LIME month – no excuses!